Thursday, October 18, 2012

Smart Meter Continued (Page 2)

It gets worse.  On Sept. 20, 2012, they said I used 102 kwh plus the 18 kwh I produced in ONE DAY!!!  That is 120,000 watts in one day.  To put this in perspective, it is the equivalent of running 50 100 watt light bulbs for a full 24 hours.  That is 6 times my daily summer usage.  They are telling me I used 22% of the full month of my July - Aug. billing period.  Ambient temperature that day was 96 degrees, which was below our peak summer temperatures this year in Nuevo, Ca.  My bill for that day was calculated and billed as follows:  16 kwh @ $.13 + 4.8 kwh @ $.16 + 11.2 kwh @ $.25 + 16 kwh @ $.28 + 54 kwh @ $.32 = $27.41

OK, Let's take an extreme example and assume that we had a heat wave for 7 days straight and I am billed for 102 kwh times 7 days equals 714 kwh as in the example above.  I close up my house, disconnect the electric for the rest of the month on a 30 day billing period.  Under the smart meter the utility company bills me $191.87 for the 30 day billing period.  With the analog meter my bill would be $107.94.  This is a wopping 78% increase in my monthly bill with smart meter.  And according to the electric company, my rates stay the same.  With the smart meter they were able to bill me 27 cents for each kwh I used, while the analog meter I only pay 15 cents for each kwh.  Let's further assume you generate just 7 kwh per day excess electricity for the following 23 days with your solar equipment.  Your bill with smart meter is $170.94, with analog is $74.04 a whopping 131% higher.  This is why I call this the smart meter a ripoff and why your bill is higher.  People who paid to have solar equipment are really getting screwed.

It gets more complicated, because the winter rates start Oct. 1 and go through May 31, so two months of the year they have to prorate your bill because you go down to 10.5 kwh in the low tier rate.  The electric company refuses to give their customers a calendar monthly billing which should be no problem with the new smart meter as they are not read anymore.  Please go to page 3

No comments:

Post a Comment